HLWWHS Distance Learning Plan
HLWW Digital Resources to be used- Google Classroom or Schoology
Google Classroom or Schoology are the two platforms that will be utilized in high school to communicate daily schedules, instruction, activities, resources. They act as a digital organizer where teachers can keep class materials and share them with students. Teachers can pick and choose the features they want to incorporate. Teachers that use Schoology during the year will continue to use the program for distance learning. All other teachers will be using Google Classroom.
If families do not have internet access please contact Mr. Mix as soon as possible to let the school know. For students with no internet access, teachers will have hard copies available located in the front entrance of the high school ready to pick up by 9 am every Monday morning. Pick up will be available on Mondays from 9 am - 12 pm and 5 pm - 8 pm. Dropping off completed work will occur in the same location on a weekly basis
High School Student/Teacher Requirements and Expectations for Distance Learning:
Teacher Work Day: 7:30 am - 3:30 pm
- 7:30 am - 9:00 am = Distance learning preparation time
- 9:00 am - 2:00 pm = Distance learning time (Each will have a 30 min lunch where they will be offline)
- Staff will be available during this time for questions via email, phone calls, video chat, etc.
- 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm = Collaboration Time with: SPED, Team, PLCs, Grade Level, Admin
- Teachers will post instruction, activities, and assignments for the day by 9:00 am on scheduled school days.
- 30 minutes of total instruction time or less (lesson and work/homework) per class period.
- Special Education staff and Specialists will collaborate with teachers on a daily basis to get their instruction, activities, and assignments to students.
- Assessments will continue in a different manner as appropriate for the class.
- Teachers will continue to take attendance via TeacherVue.
- This will be done through teachers having students sign into class each day using a Google Form for each section or in a manner that is appropriate for their class.
- Teachers will report absences for each class by 3:30 pm on Friday each week to the school attendance officer who will enter the absences.
- A student needs to sign into their classes by11:59 pm that day to gain credit for the day otherwise they will be marked as absent.
- Teachers will continue to grade as they have laid out in their syllabus’.
- Students are expected to complete their work as assigned.
- If teachers are unavailable for students from 9 am - 2 pm they will update student instruction by 9 am that day as well as communicate with students and parents.
Weekly Progress Reports to Parents and Students:
- A brief progress report will be sent to parents of students not attending class, not turning in work, or both on Friday of each week.
If you have questions please do not hesitate to reach out to your child's teachers or to office staff to support you during this new experience. Thank you for your support.
Welcome to HLWW High School
Welcome to Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted High School. We feel that our school is a very special place which provides a great deal of opportunities for your student to excel in arts, academics, and athletics as they make their way through the high school journey. We believe that every student deserves an excellent education and should be treated with respect and care, just as we would treat our own children. The development of positive relationships within the school-community is a core value we strive to achieve every day and hope to use those relationships to build upon our successes.
There are several ways that you can ensure you maximize your time HLWWHS. As you look ahead and face the challenges of the school year, please remember these tips that we feel will assist you on your journey.
- Set clear goals and expectations.
- Prioritize your school work and accept responsibility for your successes.
- Participate and work to excel in as many academic and extra-curricular activities as possible.
- Begin and end every day with a positive attitude.
- Manage your time effectively.
- Build and cultivate positive relationships with your teacher and classmates.
We will do all that we can to help each student in their pursuit of academic excellence and personal well-being. It is our goal that as our students leave HLWWHS, they leave with a profound sense of accomplishment and pride in what it means to be a Laker. We want all of our students to feel as though they are an important part of our school community and that they are honored and respected by our staff. On behalf of the entire Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted High School staff, I welcome you to the school year. Together we will continue our pursuit of excellence as one Laker family.
Jason Mix, Principal
Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted High School