Mission and Goals
The mission of the Howard Lake – Waverly – Winsted Alternative Learning Program is to provide a positive learning environment that recognizes diversity, instills life-long learning skills, and nurtures each individual’s unique potential, talents and self-worth.
The goals of the HLWW ALP are…
- To help all students meet or exceed proficiency standards in reading.
- To help all students meet or exceed proficiency standards in mathematics.
- To help all students meet or exceed high academic standards in communications skills.
- To help all students meet or exceed proficiency standards in science
- To challenge all students through a strong curriculum, post-secondary readiness programming, technology use and application, remedial assistance.
- To meet all students’ social and emotional needs and help maximize their academic achievement.
- To teach students to respect all individuals and themselves.
- To provide a safe and respectful learning environment that is free from disruption and motivates students to build positive relationships and respect boundaries.
- To teach students how to be collaborative to reduce bullying and increase positive student-to-student and student-staff relations through a programmatic approach.
- To ensure ongoing communications through multiple forms of media and equally accessible means for parents and students.
- To ensure that parents/guardian(s) are valued and active in student achievement and in creating and instilling expectations for student success.
- To provide responsible and accountable management of school resources that best meet the aims of achieving a safe and welcoming environment and high student achievement in the program.
- To ensure that continual staff development and mentorship of staff is a means of achieving a safe and welcoming environment and high student achievement in the program.